Erskine Memorial Fountain

John Massey Rhind
Grant Park

John Massey Rhind, c. 1895
Sculpture
Painted iron, marble granite
City of Atlanta Office of Cultural Affairs

A round iron fountain stands at just over three feet tall and is surrounded by a semi-circular bench decorated with Zodiac signs. The fountain’s pedestal reads: "Glorious Water, Glorious Water." The surrounding bench's arms are dolphins, and its sides feature undersea scenes with carved seaweed and crabs. The fountain was given to the city of Atlanta in 1896 in honor of Judge Erskine, an Irish immigrant who served as a United States judge for the district court of Georgia from 1865 to 1883. A long time resident of Atlanta (his house on Peachtree Street was torn down in 1864 and used for timber to build cabins for Sherman’s troops), the judge had always wanted to give a fountain to his adopted hometown. He died before he got the chance, and his daughter carried out her father’s wish. The fountain was originally placed at the intersection of Peachtree and West Peachtree Streets. In 1912, the Erskine fountain was relocated to Grant Park’s Ormond Street entrance when Peachtree and West Peachtree were regraded and widened, leaving the fountain four feet above street level.
Address
Cherokee Ave.SE
ATLANTA, GA 30315
Array
(
    [zip] => 30315
    [address] => Cherokee Ave.SE
    [artists] => John Massey Rhind
    [city] => Atlanta
    [name] => Erskine Memorial Fountain
    [description] => John Massey Rhind, c. 1895
Sculpture
Painted iron, marble granite
City of Atlanta Office of Cultural Affairs

A round iron fountain stands at just over three feet tall and is surrounded by a semi-circular bench decorated with Zodiac signs. The fountain’s pedestal reads: "Glorious Water, Glorious Water." The surrounding bench's arms are dolphins, and its sides feature undersea scenes with carved seaweed and crabs. The fountain was given to the city of Atlanta in 1896 in honor of Judge Erskine, an Irish immigrant who served as a United States judge for the district court of Georgia from 1865 to 1883. A long time resident of Atlanta (his house on Peachtree Street was torn down in 1864 and used for timber to build cabins for Sherman’s troops), the judge had always wanted to give a fountain to his adopted hometown. He died before he got the chance, and his daughter carried out her father’s wish. The fountain was originally placed at the intersection of Peachtree and West Peachtree Streets. In 1912, the Erskine fountain was relocated to Grant Park’s Ormond Street entrance when Peachtree and West Peachtree were regraded and widened, leaving the fountain four feet above street level.
    [photo] => /content/com.planit.public_art.PublicArt/62/Erskine_Memorial_Fountain2_-_OCA.jpg
    [location] => Grant Park
    [links] => Array
        (
        )

    [id] => 62
    [state] => GA
)

May 2019
Sun Mon Tue Wed Thu Fri Sat
  1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31