In fact, in the Golden Globes’ more than 75-year history, women have only been nominated for best director seven times, and female directors have even lower representation at the Academy Awards with only five nominations.
Last month, film critic Felicia Feaster spoke with “City Lights” host Lois Reitzes about some of the award-worthy female directors who went unrecognized at the 2020 Golden Globes.
Some 2019 movies with female directors:
- “Portrait of a Lady on Fire” directed by Céline Sciamma
- “Hustlers” directed by Lorene Scafaria
- “Booksmart” directed by Olivia Wilde
- “Little Women” directed by Greta Gerwig
- “Knock Down the House” directed by Rachel Lears
- “Little” directed by Tina Gordon
This story was originally published with audio on WABE.org.